SEASONAL – NOT RUNNING TOUR UNTIL MAY 15TH
Days available: Monday, Friday and Sunday
Duration: 8.5 hrs
Departure: 9:00 am until 5:30 pm (May 15, thru Oct. 15, 2015)
Price: $100 per person (4 or more required for departure)
View Customer Comments: Cick here!
America’s Hub World Tours presents, Portland Step on Guide Service, Sergio Tours, and other local partners to bring you the best and most complete tour experience available.
Looking for up to date information on Mt. St. Helens: Local Wineries nearby: Click here!
Share an extraordinary experience as phenomenal as it gets… Mt. St. Helen’s eruption.
Shaken by an earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale, the north face of this tall symmetrical mountain collapsed in a massive rock debris avalanche. Nearly 230 square miles of forest was blown down or buried beneath volcanic deposits.
At the same time a mushroom-shaped column of ash rose thousands of feet skyward and drifted downwind, turning day into night as dark, gray ash fell over eastern Washington and beyond. The eruption lasted 9 hours, but Mount St. Helen’s and the surrounding landscape were dramatically changed within moments.
• The Mount St. Helen’s Silver Lake Visitor Center is an excellent place to begin the “eruption experience”
• See spectacular views of the Mountain, elk, and replanted forests.
• Johnston Ridge Observatory is the closest view to the crater of Mount St. Helen’s.
Itinerary of your Day…
- 9:00 AM DEPART FROM PORTLAND
Our tour guides will pick you up at designated hotels in Portland or pre- arranged locations.
- Arrive at MOUNT ST. HELENS VISITOR CENTER
The Mount St. Helen’s Silver Lake Visitor Center is an excellent place to begin the “eruption experience”.
The attractive, lodge-style facility includes exhibits, trails, and a 16-minute movie about the eruption. A
walk-through model of Mount St. Helens gives visitors a chance to experience Volcanology from the
• Nature Trail – The nature trail is a mile long trail along Silver Lake, with boardwalks over wetlands, where a variety of migratory birds may be seen, with picturesque views of Mount St. Helen and the surrounding areas.
• Movie – a powerful and moving 16-minute film detailing the events around the May 18, 1980 eruption.
• Exhibits – provide information about volcanoes, comparing Mt. St. Helens to other volcanic eruptions through history.
- Arrival at ECO PARK RESORT
The closest accommodations to the Blast Zone! Eco Park Resort is a 90-acre resort with log cabins and
things to do including: guided horseback tours, and a private restaurant. Learn about the history from a lodge owner’s perspective (The youngest of the Smith Family) who own and operate the Spirit Lake Lodge; before, during, and after the eruption: 34 years of eyewitness history.You will have the opportunity to purchase lunch of your choice, make sure you save some room for their home made pies.
Other Activities nearby: Helicopter tours flying out of Hoffstadt Bluffs Visitor Center…
just 3 miles from Mark Smiths Eco Park Resort at 17000 Spirit Lake Hwy.
- Arrive Forest Learning Center
The Forest Learning center is open to the public from May to September. Walk through a life-like forest, and experience the eruption chamber. Learn about forest recovery, reforestation, and conservation. See spectacular views of the Mountain, elk, and replanted forests. Hike a short trail through the planted forest and learn about biodiversity.
• Exhibits – provide updates and illustrate how forests are managed today to ensure that there will be forests in the future.
• “The Forest That Was” – sights, sounds, feel of the forest that was right before the 1980 eruption.
• “Eruption Chamber” – this program makes you feel as though you are an eyewitness to the blast.
• “Salvage, Recovery, and Reforestation” – destruction caused by the eruption, and the return of life.
• “Virtual Chopper Tour” – sit in a helicopter, view Mount St. Helens and surrounding landscapes.
• “Forests Tomorrow” – see how we manage forests to protect the habitat.
• “Forests Always” – appreciate the resiliency of forests at Mount St. Helens
- Depart Forest Learning Center
- Arrive Johnston Ridge Observatory
Johnston Ridge Observatory is named for volcanologist David Johnston, who was camped at the site when Mount St. Helens erupted on May 18, 1980. His final words – called in via shortwave radio – were …“Vancouver, Vancouver, this is it!” Johnston’s body has never been found. Johnston Ridge Observatory is the crown jewel of Southwest Washington and the closest view to the crater of Mount St. Helens. Spectacular views, awesome hiking trails and breathtaking photo opportunities await you
• Movie – “Message from the Mountain” eruption movie.
• Interpretive Talk/Displays – portray the sequence of geologic events that transformed the landscape and opened up a new era in the science of monitoring an active volcano and forecasting eruptions.
• Closest View to Mount St. Helens – Visitors can expect to see views of the lava dome, crater, pumice plain, and the landslide deposit.
• USFS Staff Ranger Talk
- DEPARTS JOHNSTON RIDGE OBSERVATORY
- Arrive at Hummocks Trail/Coldwater Lake
• Hummocks – The trail loops 2.3 easy miles through mounds of debris shaped by erosion. In the hummocks you can inspect the multicolored volcanic debris, and enjoy views of Mount St. Helens and the Toutle River. Ponds that have formed between the Hummocks are host to new life: there are wildflowers, frogs, deer, elk, and coyote.
• Coldwater Lake – Located 45 miles east of Castle Rock in the heart of the blast zone. Experience the effect that the May 18, 1980 eruption had on the Coldwater Valley. Walk on the .25 miles “Birth of a Lake” interpretive trail, and enjoy close-up views of this 20 year old lake. Facilities include picnic tables, restrooms, and fish cleaning station, boat-launch, and hands-on discovery area.
- Depart Hummocks Trail and Coldwater Lake
Before departing Mt St Helen you will have a chance to enjoy some Wine Tasting near Mt St Helens .Cowlitz County has 4 wonderful wineries in the valley of Mt St Helens. All wineries feature their own unique variety of wines to taste & purchase.
Mount St Helens Cellars
- Arrive back in Portland
Music on the Mountain Series: The last Saturday in June, July and August. This beautiful Amphitheater at Johnston Ridge Observatory with the back drop of Mt St Helens is Spectacular! Here are the dates and bands for Music on the mountain this year…
June 28th “Science! Is riveting acoustic music…a perfectly simple, universal and truthful roots band.”
July 26th Cody Beebe and the Crooks “A hybrid of Santana and Alice in Chains”
August 30th Daniel Kirkpatrick and the Bayonets “Tom Petty meets Bruce Springsteen with a little Clapton influence on the guitar.”
Group Rates: Group rates for 6 or more people available.
Tour Departure/Pick Up: Complimentary pick up from select area hotels. Customers will be notified prior to any cancellation 24 hours in advance when possible.
Tour price Includes: Pick up at select hotels, transportation, tour guide and All applicable entry fees, unless otherwise stated.
Not Included: Gratuity and Lunch. You will have an opportunity to purchase lunch and/or snack.
Requirements: Tours require 3 person minimum for confirmation. Please contact us for current status of tour.
Payment: On-line reservations can be made using a credit or debit card. Payment will be processed immediately to secure your reservation. Payment on day of pick up will not guarantee your reservation.
Reservations: All reservations are final at time of booking. We recommend two weeks in advance for reservations especially during our high volume seasons. Walk-ins please call to confirm departure and availability.
Terms and Conditions
I. Other Entities: America’s Hub World Tours (AHWT) will not be held responsible for cancelations, changes to services/fees/price, conduct, of quality of goods and services for entities that operate under any name other than AHWT including, but not limited to: vendors, tour operators, vineyards and wineries, event staff, hotels, transportation companies, restaurants and entertainers.
II. Weather – Unless otherwise noted and specified all services are planned to operate regardless of weather. In the event of an “Act of God” and weather presents a safety issue AHWT will offer other tours to consider. There will be no reimbursements, full or partial, for inclement weather experienced during any service provided. It is the responsibility of the guests to be prepared for predicted weather and dress accordingly.
III. Conduct –AHWT assumes no responsibility for conduct of individuals other than its guides/employees/officers.
Indemnify: Except as otherwise prohibited by law each party shall indemnify and hold the other party harmless from all claims, actions, suits, losses, and expenses of any nature for its employees or subcontractors, breach of their agreement, negligence or intentional misconduct.
Insurance: America’s Hub World Tours (AHWT), will ensure all tour operators, and bus companies provide insurance coverage for all vehicles utilized while providing services.
No smoking in Vehicles; No alcohol drinking in vehicles! Not responsible for articles left in vehicles! There will be a $200 minimum damage/cleaning charge resulting from customer misuse. All passengers are responsible and liable for their own actions while in this vehicle; neither the driver nor the company is responsible or liable for any injury or damage caused by or as a result of any customer actions. We are not in control of the traffic and therefore take no responsibility for time issues due to traffic.
The state of Oregon requires all parents with children requiring car seats to use them. Child passengers must be restrained in approved child safety seats until they weigh forty pounds or reach the upper weight limit for the car seat in use. Infants must ride rear-facing until they reach both one year of age AND twenty pounds. We do not supply car seats; if you did not bring one the hotel can recommend rental locations. Some will deliver to hotels.
Portland Step on Guide Service, Sergio Tours, and other local partners in collaboration with America’s Hub World Tours are offering to bring you the best and most complete tour experience available.
For more information regarding the many other tours we offer please visit us at: http://www.americashubworldtours.com
– See more at: http://www.americashubworldtours.com/?wpsc-product=portlandia-tour#sthash.IfyR3Cb9.dpuf
* Photos courtesy of Eco Park Resort/Dawn & Mark Smith/ Crater man “Charlie Anderson”*